How To Get Backlinks For Your Website?
Backlinking is a huge part of SEO, Search Engine Optimization.
If you’re trying to learn SEO and are wondering how to get more backlinks to your website, this post will teach you the basics of guest posting for link-building and SEO purposes.
What are Backlinks?
A backlink is a link to your website from someone else’s blog or website. Google uses these links as kind of an signal of approval for your website.
The number of backlinks you have is an important way that Google determines the quality of your content. If lots of other people link to it, it tells Google that your content is good.
But, you don’t want just any old backlinks. Google can certainly tell quality backlinks from trash.
That’s where guest posting can be hugely beneficial to you.
So before jumping into how to get backlinks for your website, let’s take a moment to talk about guest posting.
You may already be aware of this but guest posting is an awesome opportunity to share valuable information you have with a wider community.
What is Guest Posting?
Guest posting is submitting a post to another blog or website that isn’t your own. You provide that site owner with content, saving them time and effort if it’s good quality content. In return, they give you a link back to your own website as the author of the post.
That link back to your post is the quality backlink you are after.
And as we all know, it’s more blessed to give than to receive.
But hey, it’s not a one way street.
Is Guest Blogging Worth It?
There’s lots of talk about guest posting being dead.
And guest posting can appear counter-intuitive at first glance. I mean why would you spend hours on content creation for someone else.
Well its because there are some pretty perks for you when you choose to guest post:
- Increased exposure for your content and brand
- Great networking opportunity
- Increase exposure and traffic to your website.
- And of course, the good old backlink to your website.
How to find the right guest posting opportunities
If you’re brand new to blogging, then you should focus on just getting a guest posting opportunity which will help you to start building your backlink profile and find your audience.
Once your domain authority starts to climb, you want to be a little more discerning about guest posting so as to not waste your time.
Here is a checklist for a successful guest post:
- Look for a website with a higher domain authority than your own
- Or alternatively a website with a high social media following or readership than your own
- Make sure you perform proper keyword research and optimize your post for SEO. Don’t rely on the site owner to do this for you as the post doing well helps you probably even more than them
- Agree that the site owner and yourself will share your post on theirs and your social media channels to gain maximum exposure of your post.
Top Tips for Guest Posting
Top Tip #1: Trending Topics
To decide on what topic to guest post about you will want to find out what the trending topics for your chosen niche are. The easiest way is to jump on Google Trends:
You will also want to jump on various social media platforms to see what current topics and issues are getting the most comments. The topics generating the most buzz are likely to be hot guest posting topics.
Top Tip #2: Don’t repeat articles
Yes, guest posting is a lot of work to create content that isn’t going on your site. But you are getting a valuable backlink in the process.
So make sure you do your homework. Check out the blog you want to guest post on.
Perhaps comment on a few articles, get a feel of what the readers are looking for and make sure you don’t offer to guest post article on a topic that the website owner has already covered! Seems simple but its a sure fire way to get rejected.
And on that note…
Top Tip #3: Prepare for Disappointment – Bounce Back!
Even with the best guest posting pitch, you are going to face rejection!
It will happen.
The first time it happened to me, the rejection stung.
It hurts, rejection always hurts but its okay!
The most important thing is to pick yourself up and move on.
If getting guest posting opportunities were that easy , EVERYONE would be doing it! And everyone would have awesome backlink profiles and be able to boost their traffic!
Want a Guest Posting Opportunity?
If the answer is yes, then read on. You have come to the right place because my blog is currently open to guest posts. Read on to understand a bit more about my blog and its readers.
Audience of Escape The Rat Race
My audience ranges from:
- People who are looking for a means to improve their lifestyle by making extra money online, to
- Beginner bloggers who are trying to navigate through the noise and make money online.
Topics This Blog Covers (Important!)
To give you some steer on the type of guest post to pitch, here are the topics covered on the Escape The Rat Race blog:
- Blogging Tips and Tricks
- Ways To Make Money Online
- Pinterest Marketing
- Make Money Online Tools Product Reviews
If you think you have a great topic that will benefit the Escape The Rat Race audience and it doesn’t fall into one of the above categories, feel free to send it anyway.
Guest Writers’ Guidelines
Before you start to pen your amazing blog post or brainstorm amazing headlines, here are some questions to ask yourself to ensure your proposed post is aligned with my blog’s purpose:
- Have I read some recent blog posts to get an understanding of Escape The Rat Race’s style?
- Is this post’s primary purpose to promote my blog, affiliate product etc.? If your post sounds like an ad, it will be rejected.
- Do I have a cool headline or angle idea that I can describe clearly in a couple of sentences?
- Would my post be at least 850 words when complete?
- Have I researched? Please be prepared to include links to authoritative sources.
- Have I proofread my email (and later my post)?
- Do I have a 150×150 px profile picture and a two-sentence bio to send? What do I want to link to, either in the post or in this bio, or both? You get two back links to your blog but strictly no affiliate links please.
How To Get Backlinks For Your Website: How YOU Can Apply To Guest Post
We all know the importance of quality content so I’m looking for posts that will teach and give value to my audience.
Make sure you have a good read of my guest writer guidelines above before you get started.
Here is what to include in your email:
- 3 to 5 headlines that you think Escape The Rat Race readers would love. Please do spend time on this bit, you don’t have to write out your guest post. Let’s start the conversation with great headline ideas.
- A few sentences describing what your proposed post is going to be about.
- Include a link to your blog. I would love to see what you’ve written so far.
When you’re ready, just email email@example.com.